PAN International is once again proud to present Dalun (master) Shadow Puppeteer from Jakarta, Indonesia, Pak Sumardi. Experience shadow puppetry and Gamelan traditional music through live performance and Q&A.
Touring artist Sumardi gives the audience a wonderful insight into the myths and legends of Indonesian history and culture via Gamelan and Puppetry. Theatrical storytelling brings to life the ancestral spirits said to swell inside the puppets. The climatic scenes are based on Hindu epics, such as the Ramayana Cycle, the story of the ‘Legend of Ramayana and Mahabarata’ giving life to several characters as Dewi Kunti (the mother), Bratasena (the son) and Pragalbo (the monster). All accompanied by live Gamelan Music Ensemble from Indonesia. The audience is given an opportunity to watch the shadow puppetry from both sides of the screen to experience the magic as well as learn the skills and techniques behind these ancient art forms.
- Ensure that schooling contributes to a socially cohesive society that respects and appreciates cultural, social and religious diversity
- Appreciate Australia’s social, cultural linguistic and religious diversity
- Able to relate to and communicate across cultures and are responsible global and local citizens
- To develop knowledge and skills about the concepts of music as an art form through activities in a variety of cultural and historical contexts
- To know more about a specific culture who’s becoming very important in the actual world
- Aurally exploring music of various styles, periods and genres
- Experiencing a wide range of music forms
You can get in contact with us through the BOOK button, or either by phone: 1300 884 984, or by email: [email protected].
National Touring Dates 2014
10 – 23 March
31 March – 21 April
21 April – 2 May
19 – 23 May
5 – 16 May
24 – 28 March
26 – 30 May